[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Grunt on May 21, 2002 at 05:24:04:

Is there a good source we can turn to to get exact and correct terminology for describing antique prints? It seems to me we should all use terminology more accurately. For example, I can't understand why the word "reprint" has come to be used in the place of "reproduction". In my world, a reprint is a print from the original blocks, but taken later than the 1st run. In this, it may or may not overlap with "late impression", which is simply a late reprint. A reproduction is a copy made from blocks carved with the express purpose of reproducing an original work. Speaking of which, "original", "genuine" and "authentic" are also in serious need of clarification. If I see one more "genuine woodblock print" used to describe anything printed from a woodblock, regardless of date, I may well lose what little sanity I have left. If there's not an official guide out there, can we make one, and put it online as a reference, and point it out to those who blur their language?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]