Re: “Eight Snow Scenes in the Eastern Capital” (“Toto Yukimi Hakkei”)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa on August 28, 2002 at 14:46:35:

>> Posted by Barbara C. Evans

>> I inherited a folder with "Eight Snow Scenes in the Eastern Capitol" in
>> it. ..
>> My uncle was in Japan in the war and brought them back. Are they of any
>> interst?

My guess is that this is a post-war printing from the "original" blocks; see
my page:

http://users.exis.net/~jnc/nontech/prints/8snow.html

and in particular the section entitled "Later Impressions From the Original
Shotaro Sato Blocks".

> Posted by Thomas Crossland (Ukiyoe-Gallery.com)

> A recent sale occurred in May of this year in London auction of an
> 'original' set (8 prints) published by Shotaro Sato Publisher (vertical
> seal in right margins) at 925 British pounds, or about $1,300 for the
> set.

IIRC (and if we're talking about the same set), this set was from the original
"limited edition" of 100 copies, and thus would have been worth more than later
prints from these blocks.

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]