Re: Oh Yes! Yet ANOTHER Toyokuni :o)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa on August 28, 2002 at 14:56:12:

> How unusual for an artist to completely take over the name of another
> artist, with the same characters and all, and during his lifetime to
> boot. I've heard of pirated prints, but never of hijacked art names.

Actually, taking over another artist's 'go' (art-name) was fairly common in
the print world, especially in the Utagawa school - although as you indicate,
it didn't usually happen during someone's lifetime. I have a page here:

http://users.exis.net/~jnc/nontech/prints/artname.html

which discusses this, as well as most of the various artists who signed
"Toyokuni" - although I must admit the Kyoto "Toyokuni" is a new one on me!

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]