Re: What do I have??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa on September 08, 2002 at 17:38:49:

> Posted by Jennifer on September 07, 2002 at 04:56:05:

> I was planning on taking it to regular framer to have it mounted with
> archival/acid free paper. Any tips on framing to help preserve it?

Yes. Don't.

Seriously; prints from this era were made with vegetable colours which are
very fugitive (they fade in light), and long-term display on the wall will
damage them by fading. These pages:

http://spectacle.berkeley.edu/~fiorillo/5yoshitaki_fade.html
http://spectacle.berkeley.edu/~fiorillo/6faqs.html#fading

has more about this.

With this particular print, you're probably OK, since from what I can make out
in your pictures it's already in not too great a shape, and so you won't be
doing a lot of harm if it does fade more.

Still, in general, framing these prints for long-term display is just about
the last thing one should do with them.

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]