Re: What do I have??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa on September 15, 2002 at 03:08:38:

> Posted by Jennifer on September 11, 2002 at 15:54:56:

> Bad news: I took it out of the frame and discovered the print was
> PASTED at least one inch around the edges onto the cardboard backing! I
> don't see how to get it off without damaging it.

A common occurrence, alas. There are two possible cases to discuss here.

Case i) - the glue used is non-water soluble. This case, while considerably
rarer than the next one, is pretty simple - give up. A skilled conservator
who *specializes* in removing backings (i.e. the local paper conservator I
consult with is very good, but removing this kind of backing is beyond her)
might be able to get it up - but it will cost 5 times what this print is
worth.

Case ii) - the glue used is water soluble. If you're feeling terrifically
brave, and really want to get the print up, you can have a go at getting it
up yourself (using a distilled-water bath).

Alas, there's no way to tell which kind you have without actually having a
a go at it...

I won't bother to type in directions right now - if you (or anyone, actually)
is interested, I'll put together a page that describes the whole process,
what to watch out for, etc. I have done lots of prints (originally starting
under the tutelage of the afore-mentioned conservator), and I'm pretty
confident about doing it now.

I looked to see if there was one already, but other than Tom Crossland's
repair page (below) there's nothing online already.

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]