Re: Unidentified archaic print (#1)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa on September 15, 2002 at 19:22:17:

> Posted by Andrew Watanabe on September 15, 2002 at 04:24:18:

> This is definitely a design by Moronobu, from the picture book Iwaki
> etsukushi.

Ah, thanks very much for that.

Due to the dearth of reference books about early ukiyo-e in my library, I
wasn't able to find out much about Iwaki etsukushi, other than a brief
mention that it dates from 1683. Does anyone happen to know anything else
about it?

Also, without the kanji I wasn't able to translate 'iwaki' - does anyone know
which of the possible likely meanings ("celebration, festival"; "festive poem
or song"; "festive dress"; "congratulatory gift") applies?

> I can't say if it is an original print though. .. the black pigments
> look rather flat, without the rich luster of an early printing.

Well, that could be - I am informed that it was described as "perhaps late".
I suppose the only way to know if it's the original blocks would be to
compare the full-size image (given below) with a known early original. Does
anyone have access to one?

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]