Re: Paper residue on upper corners

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa on September 17, 2002 at 15:07:27:

> Posted by Andreas Grund on September 16, 2002 at 17:06:01:

>> sometimes i see paper residues attached to the upper corners of prints?
>> .. The paper residues are attached to the back of one particular print
>> by some sort of sticky stuff

> this sticky stuff is rice glue

Ah, Andreas is quite right that these are the remains of previous mountings,
but your use of the term "sticky" implies that the material is still sticky?

If so, this is unlikely to be rice glue (which would now be dried and hard in
almost all climates). If it is still sticky, it's likely to be some non-water
based material, and you may need some other solvent to remove it. The first
one to try is acetone, which has not in my experience harmed any prints I have
used it on. If that doesn't work, there are a host of other solvents that
might be the one you need.

> Wetten the residues with water (non acidic, non chlorinated) with a
> cotton swab .. If necessary, repeat the procedure. Finally, wetten again
> several times with water, remove remaining glue and dry between plotters.

Make sure not to use too much water, and get the corner of the print rather wet
as you can get what's called a "tidal" effect, where the fluid gathers up soluble
dirt on the print, and carries it to the edge of the wet spot (the physical
mechanism is the same as in chromatography). When it drives it leaves an
obvious, and ugly, line.

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]