Re: "Type E" surimono?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa on September 24, 2002 at 20:06:14:

> Posted by Andrew Watanabe on September 18, 2002 at 02:25:48:

> Could someone please teach me what a "type e" surimono is? I've seen a
> seller using this term .. Keyes mentions only groups A-D in the 2 volume
> Surimono set (Beatty Library).

I have a reprint (sorry, I no longer recall where it came from) of an article
by Roger Keyes entitled "Copies of Square Surimono", which includes a "Group E"
which he describes as:

'A set of 25 facsimiles published by the firm Mariya in July 1931 .. as many
as 100 subjects may have been issued .. Prints in this group are finely
printed, but are not misleading. They are printed on paper which is
noticeably larger than that of original surimono or other facsimiles. ..
All but 7 of the 25 subjects reproduce subjects which are known in groups
A and B.'

Perhaps someone else can tell us where this article was first printed?

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]