Re:- Censorīs seals-A Bit More

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa on July 10, 2003 at 19:09:09:

> So now I know that my prints are later printings from the original
> blocks - or at least some of the original blocks.
> Does this mean that they are totally worthless?

Not at all - although they will be worth substantially less than the older
editions.

The later editions of this series (which was in print for many decades from
the original blocks, along with the 'Upright' Tokaido, to which these
comments also apply) often uses harsh chemical dyes, which detracts from them
(in addition to the usual problems of block wear, etc).

However, they are 'real' Hiroshiges, and are worth more than later
reproductions (even if the reproductions are less worn, and use more pleasing
colours).

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ] [ FAQ ]