Posted by Irwin (22.214.171.124) on March 30, 2011 at 00:50:07:
Would appreciate confirmation and/or additional information on a Kunisada print posted at
Here's what I think I know about this print:
signed: Toyokuni ga in Toshidama cartouche
oval date seal above signature: 1857 10th month (Ansei 4)
round aratami seal: unread
publisher: Aito (Shitaya So-To?)
pictured in circle: Daikoku
pictured in rectangle: Fukurokuju
actor: possibly Bando Mitsugoro VI
The Kunisada (Toyokuni III) - Project (Kunisada.de website) lists an 1857 play "Fude torite Megumi no Otsu-e", performed at the Morita in 11/1857, which may correspond with this print. I cannot find additional information on this play but Kunisada.de mentions that Nakamura Fukusuke I played the role Fukuroku (among other roles) and Bando Mitsugoro VI is playing Daikoku.
I've gone through a number of online databases, including Tsubouchi Memorial Theatre Museum, and haven't seen this image.
1. Can anyone identify the aratami seal to the right of the oval date seal? (I did not see this seal listed in the Hotei Encyclopedia.)
2. Is the actor being shown Mitsugoro VI? If not, any guesses?
3. Is this sheet part of a larger diptych or triptych?
4. I've seen several online images of the rectangular publisher's seal attributed to Aito and one that equated Aito with the name Shitaya So-To. Is this correct? (At some point I'll acquire Andreas Marks' new book which, I'm sure, will answer many of my questions about publisher identities.)
5. Does anyone have an English language reference (electronic or book) for the play "Fude torite Megumi no Otsu-e"?
As always my thanks and regards,
Post a Followup