Re: Can anyone help me identify this

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa (98.166.148.248) on August 18, 2013 at 19:32:12:

In Reply to: Re: Can anyone help me identify this pri posted by Llens8 on August 18, 2013 at 19:24:01:

"can you tell me how I might go about trying to track down an original print?"

It is very likely that you will be unable to, no matter how hard you try. Surimono were usually produced in fairly small numbers, and are now _very_ rare.

Some reproductions were produced in the late 19th century, and those are easier to find, but there are a limited number of images which were reproduced.

You can try checking with all the woodblock print dealers (North America, Europe, and Japan), to see if one has a copy, but I rate the odds of success there as small.

You can also watch auctions, but again, you might watch for 20 years before you find a copy.

The last alternative is to find someone who has a copy (how, I do not know) and then offer them enough money to get them to part with it. (Note that most museums will usually not sell objects in their collections, no matter how much you offer them.)

If you really must have a copy for your wall, your best bet is to try and get someone to make you a high-resolution scan (600 dpi), and take that to a commerical printing shop and get a copy printed.

Sorry to be so negative, but that is the actual state of things.

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Can anyone help me identify this

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]