Re: Hokusai impression print

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa (98.166.148.248) on September 13, 2013 at 14:49:26:

In Reply to: Hokusai impression print posted by Teresa R on September 13, 2013 at 00:59:24:

"the value of a Hokusai impression copy"

It depends on what you mean by "copy". (I assume you don't mean 'instance', i.e. a print from the original blocks. And with Hokusai, there is a grey world, of what are sometimes called 'lifetime impressions', i.e. prints made from new blocks, but during his lifetime. His work was so popular the original blocks wore out early on. These can confuse even experts, as the ink and paper are 'from his period' - the only way to discover them is to closely compare the blocks with known originals.)

If you mean 'reproduction produced with a woodblock process', it will depend on the age and condition. An antique reproduction of good quality and in good condition might be worth as much as $200 or so (for his best prints, such as 'Great Wave'); in very poor condition, nothing, really (say $5).

If you mean 'reproduction produced with a mechanical process' (e.g. lithograph), a lot less - for a good one, perhaps $40.

At least, that's my _guess_ - since I don't by a lot of reproductions, I'm not totally up to speed on that market!

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Hokusai impression print

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]