Re: Hokusai impression print

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Teresa R (98.66.7.245) on September 13, 2013 at 16:03:33:

In Reply to: Re: Hokusai impression print posted by Noel Chiappa on September 13, 2013 at 14:49:26:

I see your point Noel. You're right, the original image seems to have been reproduced so many times with so many different print qualities and the price ranges I've seen are so varied. It is very confusing and I appreciate your guidance.
What I have is a 40 x 55 inch, 20th century, commercially produced copy of the woodblock print titled, The Great Wave of Kanagawa. The owner said that he bought the print for $10,000 several years ago...which makes me nervous for many reasons. The image has publishing information on the bottom that reads: Import Images 511 6th Ave, Suite 245 www.importimagesnewyork.com.
I have gone to the web site listed, but can't seem to find anything about the print. I've done searches to research the piece (the BBC documentary of the image is really nice) but the more I learn, the more difficult it is to justify the print's owner's initial investment. I am so unlearned regarding Asian art. Maybe I don't know what makes a piece this valuable, or maybe the customer got a bad deal. Can you recommend a next step.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Hokusai impression print

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]