Re: Hokusai impression print

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa (98.166.148.248) on September 13, 2013 at 19:31:12:

In Reply to: Re: Hokusai impression print posted by Teresa R on September 13, 2013 at 16:03:33:

"40 x 55 inch, 20th century"

The first would imply the second; the originals are oban-sized (roughly 10x15 inches).

"The owner said that he bought the print for $10,000 several years ago"

{Visualize Noel falling off his chair... :-}

"Maybe I don't know what makes a piece this valuable, or maybe the customer got a bad deal."

I would have a strong presumption of the latter...

As far as I see, the value of such a piece would basically be the cost to produce a similar item, which would be not be large. (It's still not clear to me if the reproduction is via a mechanical process such as lithograph, or it's an actual block-printed piece, so I can't give a number; but large color posters can be printed on demand at local graphics places for $120-$200, depending on the exact size. Someone I know did that for a Yoshitoshi print; we obtained a high-resolution scan of an original, and they went off to their local graphics place and purchased a hugh blow-up for their wall.)

Unless there is something else (e.g. it has a valuable signature on it, or it's a real woodblock print produced by some famous artist in limited numbers, or something) I can't see how it would be worth anything like that much. Perhaps you could ask them if there's anything that would induce such a large value (other than the fact that they paid that much, of course)?

"Can you recommend a next step."

Buy the owner a large box of kleenex?

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Hokusai impression print

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]