Re: dear hans, marc, irwin, guy + john p

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Marc Kahn (83.253.244.170) on October 15, 2013 at 19:17:33:

In Reply to: dear hans, marc, irwin, guy + john part posted by chas schinzer on October 15, 2013 at 00:13:32:

The thought of do-it-yourself print conservation/restoration is controversial. Some people say that you should leave that to the experts. Others say that if it would cost more to have an expert work their magic on it than the print is worth, you could justify doing it yourself. For my own prints, I am squarely in the DIY camp, but that's my own personal decision. I can't advocate that for anyone else.

Your Rakusan print is a holy mess. It looks like it was laid down to a backing using a dry-mounting process (look it up), and then glued to the mat window on the front side, using a dark glue. Looking at the tear that you put in it, I would guess that the print paper is already quite brittle from toning.

In my opinion, there's nothing that you can do to make it worse because the print was ruined long before you got it. If you'd like, send me a private email and I can talk with you offline about some techniques.

Marc

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: dear hans, marc, irwin, guy + john p

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]