Re: unidentified print may be unpubl

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Dave Bull (124.155.36.161) on December 03, 2013 at 00:17:39:

In Reply to: Re: unidentified print may be unpubl posted by Steve on December 02, 2013 at 21:25:10:

I see that Hans has pointed you in the right direction, but I can add that I'm in Tokyo. And that -might- be important, if you do wish to print off (and sell) some prints from these blocks.

Hasui died in 1957, so under Japanese laws, his copyrights expired 50 years later, in 2007. But other countries have a 'death + 70' system, so theoretically, his works may still be protected in those places. I'm not a copyright lawyer of course, but it is my understanding that in such cases of conflict, the relevant laws that apply are those of the country where the work was originally published, and in this case that was Japan, where (most) of his images were published by the Watanabe Company.

But if you are located in a +70 country, and 'publish' prints from these blocks, there might be an argument to be made that this is a copyright violation. I have never heard of the Watanabe people chasing anybody on the copyright issue, and I believe that they have simply accepted that his work is now in the public domain, but that is not legal advice, you understand!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: unidentified print may be unpubl

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]