Re: Hiroshige reprint ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by AR (126.15.247.190) on December 19, 2013 at 07:09:37:

In Reply to: Hiroshige reprint ? posted by Bernard on December 15, 2013 at 00:22:38:

This is not a “Fake”.

It’s a later reprint from the original blocks done within the lifetime of Hiroshige.

However it’s a pale shadow of what Hiroshige intended. For me and most of the people how have seen the Sanoki version (even late impressions), your print is very pale, flat and indistinct.

You can have the same print, for about 3-4x what you paid for this, in Sanoki version.
In my opinion in all respects you will derive much more enjoyment from the better printing with all the colours and shadings of the Sanoki print. This enjoyment lasts for many years. If you have a subpar print in the end you will just see the defects. Not only will you derive much more pleasure from good prints. Also, usually, you will get a better ratio of return when you one day decide to sell your prints.

In the Netherlands there are several dealers in Japanese prints. Two which I can recommend are Hotei (Uhlenbeck) and Saru Gallery (van den Ing, not so many ukiyo-e though). See them and learn. The novice collector will learn enormous amounts from the well experienced dealer/collector.

PS. I don’t suggest you should go out and buy the same design, but for future purchases maybe you should look for higher quality.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Hiroshige reprint ?

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]