Re: Titel of this print

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by A Rikardson (126.15.247.190) on December 19, 2013 at 19:46:02:

In Reply to: Titel of this print posted by Bernard on December 17, 2013 at 22:03:34:

It’s hashira goyomi (high-narrow calendar). The most common of any type of the official calendars sold in Edo during the late Edo period.

The calendar is of the subgroup Ryaku-reki (Abridged calendar) which was the most common calendar, which came in different formats including the above. t was even used as free gifts by merchants to their better clients when they collected the yearly payment. However the merchant had to pay the calendar “cost” to the publisher. The publisher who was “licensed” to publish calendars would make an extremely good living thereof. There were also illegal types of calendars such as f.ex. the egoyomi which is familiar to ukiyo-e collectors.
To full official calendar was published as a fukurutojibon (in obon or chubon size) book and could sometimes be in several volumes. Further there was another type of calendar which foretold auspicious days and fortunes during the coming year These are still published (as fukurotojibon) and are especially popular with older women and young unmarried women.

I’m sitting in our country retreat and don’t have any reference books here.
Maybe somebody can contribute the date for the calendar.
The short months are 2,5,7,8,10, 12(I think)
The long months are 1,3,4,6,9,11
I think you you can find it in Lane - IFW.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Titel of this print

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]