Woodblock Artists' Names Table

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa (98.166.132.137) on February 25, 2014 at 18:10:36:

Although I like the large table of reproduction signatures in:

James Self, Nobuko Hirose, "Japanese Art Signatures: A Handbook and Practical Guide"

there's been one thing I always wished I could do, which that table didn't support: look up an unknown signature when I could only read one of the _later_ characters in the name. (If you can read the _first_ one, the
organization of the table in S+H allows you to find it fairly quickly.)

So a while back I started a project to create an online version of that table, which one could easily search (by using the 'search page' function that almost all browsers provide). I didn't get far for a while, but while recovering from a bad case of the 'flu recently, and needing something to do to keep me amused while I rested, I managed to finish it off.

So here it is:

http://www.chiappa.net/~jnc/prints/names.html

I know this is slightly duplicative of the signature table here, and also of the list of Utagawa artists on Wikipedia, but this one contains many more names, with complete kanji for all of them.

Eventually I hope to add images of all the signatures (or, at least, as many as I can find), but that's a project for another day!

The other thing I might do, if people find this table useful, is add all the other artists who are listed in Roberts and Lane (for the latter, only the one where Lane gives their kanji, of course).

Anyway, if people think either of those two steps would be useful, let me know, and I'll add them to my (long :-) list of woodblock print projects.

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Woodblock Artists' Names Table

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]