Re: Woodblock Artists' Names Table

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa (98.166.132.137) on February 27, 2014 at 13:56:17:

In Reply to: Re: Woodblock Artists' Names Table posted by Marc Kahn on February 25, 2014 at 20:01:05:

Marc:

Thanks for this kind words, but when I look at something like Marks' 'Publishers' book, my efforts seem rather miniscule! (Although in doing the transcription, I did find, and note, many errors in S+H, which does, I think, rate as a scholarly contribution, albeit a minor one!) Anyway...

I hadn't thought of Merritt+Yamada, but you are right, that's another one I should go through. I hope you won't be too offended if it's not first on the list, though!

Guy:

There is no particular reason that I used the 'classic' characters - I was just copying what Self+Hirose did. No doubt they used the old forms because those were the ones actually used in the signatures. (Which is, after all, the point of their table...)

(I'm going to avoid getting into a philosophical debate over whether the two forms are _different_ characters, or the same character written two ways. From the point of view of collectors without much expertise in Japanese, they certainly _seem_ to be different characters.)

Another one that's common is 斎 for 齋.

I have on some entries put notes of the form 'this name is now often written with the simplified character X'. I'm going to be more organized now, though; but I can't really put such a note in every name. However, I will add a table at the head of the page listing the variant forms. Or should I do something more?

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Woodblock Artists' Names Table

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]