Re: Kunisada print identification

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa (98.166.132.137) on March 26, 2014 at 13:17:18:

In Reply to: Kunisada print identification posted by Alex M. on March 25, 2014 at 17:39:00:

"I can't read ... the stamp to the right of the signature ... I haven't been able to identify the printer's mark either."

Well, there are two things that might be the printer's seal: the cartouche to the right of the signature, and the round seal underneath the date seal.

I looked in Marks, "Publishers of Japanese Woodblock Prints", but I couldn't find either one in the table of reproduced seals (although the poor quality of the printing on the round seal makes it hard to see - I was too lazy to try and find another copy of this print online, which might show that seal better).

Also, I couldn't find the second in the list of publishers (since the first character is katakana, it has only one possible reading, making it feasible to look through the entire alphabetical list of publishers whose names start with 'shi').

Just because I couldn't see either one there, that does not say that neither is a publisher's seal: Marks is fairly comprehensive, but there are probably some he missed.

My _guess_ is that the round seal is the publisher's seal. Which leaves the question 'what it the other one'?

One of two alternative readings for parts of it might be a clue: since the first character is katakana, the second might be too, making it possibly タ. That would make the first two read "shita", meaning 'subordinate'. (This is the same 'shita' as in 'hanshita', the copy of the original image used to make the keyblock.) Perhaps this seal indicates a pupil who helped the master complete the image?

Also, instead of the last part being two characters, it might be the single character 賣.

Not very many answers for you, but perhaps something there will help?

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Kunisada print identification

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]