Re: Shuzo Ikeda Mother and Son

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by chas schinzer (98.206.140.13) on April 06, 2014 at 15:38:54:

In Reply to: Shuzo Ikeda Mother and Son posted by Maria Kuczerewicz on March 25, 2014 at 18:22:39:

hi maria. usually this board refrains from commenting on selling of prints as it has so many variables AND alot (and i mean ALOT) depends on the expectations you have. also, the market you sell into will support a predictable range of prices.

for starters, these prints are on paper. paper works have an entirely different price point compared to oils. as this relates to expectations, there are no "priceless" japanese woodblock prints. there are some exceedingly unique works which will command a high price but the vast majority will sell under $500.

to your work, ikeda is considered a sosaku hanga artist - essentially post-war and in the era of "full control" by the artist. use 1960 as a loose starting point. this board has an amazing depth relative to the ukiyo-e era...late 1700s through the late 1800s in effect.

some of the variables you'll need to address fall into "condition" issues. for example, you mention it is (or was) framed. this is a bit of a negative for a collector as it also implies it might be completely adhered to a backing board of some kind AND it may have suffered from exposure to sun or other lighting. these are negatives for collectors, i should point out. there is another world of art lovers oout there who simply would enjoy it for its artistic value.

as for framing, there is a big HOWEVER which is a bit novel. Ikeda did also frame some of his own works and sell them as a "ready to wear" product. since we have no image to go by, you'll have to assess this on your own. i am not sure if the Yoseido Gallery worked with Ikeda...

this is just cursory info, btw. Ikeda + Kawano both have an avid appreciation so i encourage you to research more. if you decide to keep it, take care of it as it will increase in value over time.

hope this helps

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Shuzo Ikeda Mother and Son

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]