Re: Need help identifying Ikkeisai Y

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa (98.166.132.137) on April 28, 2014 at 00:41:50:

In Reply to: Re: Need help identifying Ikkeisai Y posted by Lita X Lng Kelley on April 27, 2014 at 19:28:20:

"would you say that this print is worth the cost of a professional conservation and restoration process"

Not in my opinion, no. The value of this print is, in my opinion, less than $100 (based on what similar prints sell for at auction), and a professional conservation would cost more than that, and won't increase the value much.

"The print has a backing attached .. I wish to preserve this print to the best of my abilities ... I wish to have the backing removed"

It all depends on what kind of backing it is, and what kind of glue was used to attach it. _Iff_ it was Japanese rice starch glue, and it's older hand-made Japanese paper, it won't hurt it to leave it on. _Iff_ it's later acid-containing paper, leaving it on will harm it. A Japanese print expert can tell you what you're got if they see it in person.

"preserve it in the best manner to decrease degradation"

Don't put it on the wall; the colors will fade (more than they already have). See here:

http://www.viewingjapaneseprints.net/texts/topictexts/faq/faq_care_and_repair.html#fading

for more on this.

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Need help identifying Ikkeisai Y

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]