Re: Need Hiroshige-Help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Willie (66.189.23.235) on April 28, 2014 at 22:44:53:

In Reply to: Need Hiroshige-Help posted by Gordon Friese on April 28, 2014 at 21:42:15:

Hi Gordon,

I just took a look at both images side by side and zoomed to the fullest possible on the MFA site.
If you are asking where the differences are between the two prints, it seems to me that there are a number of very small differences to be found in the edges of the splashing water at the bottom of the print, as well as along the edges of the trees towards the top. Also the seal directly below Hiroshige seams a bit different in the lower left part of the (ichiryusai?)characters.

Although it is difficult to be sure because of the faint printing, I think that the bigger difference is in the publisher seal in the bottom right corner. The seal on 15.180 appears as though it might be the seal of Kobayashi Bunshichi who was active between 1887 and 1923 according to shotei.com. This publisher produced both original designs as well as very good recarved copies. I read somewhere that he may have used the original blocks in some cases.
See here for a comparison:

http://shotei.com/seals/seal_details.php?seal=1056

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Willie

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Need Hiroshige-Help

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]