Re: Interesting Signature Cartouche

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Irwin (97.115.30.28) on June 23, 2014 at 20:12:50:

In Reply to: Re: Interesting Signature Cartouche - as posted by Guy Pepermans on June 23, 2014 at 16:44:19:

Thanks Guy. I see that the Japan Arts Council website also has several other prints by Hosai/KunimasaIV/Kunisada III (1848 1920) that show Kuniaki as assisting. According to all the information I've seen, the last recorded artist named Kuniaki was Utagawa Kuniaki II 歌川国明 二代 (1835-1888). If this information is correct then the Kuniaki assisting Hosai must be a different artist. I also note different spelling of the name - 国章 vs. 国明. When I google 国章I get lots of information on the "national emblem"(kokushou) but haven't seen anything about an artist spelled with those kanji. The Tokyo Metropolitan Library has another Housai print with 国章補筆 written next to it. According to the Tangorin on line translator 補筆 hohitsu means "retouch;  correction;  improvement."

Do you know of any sources that state that an artist Kuniaki was a student of Kunimasa IV? I looked over Newland's article about the life of Baidou Housai in Andon 89 and didn't see any mention of a student named Kuniaki.

Best regards,
Irwin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Interesting Signature Cartouche

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]