Hiroshige Hodogaya -Shinmachi-bashi nuno

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Lita X Lng Kelley ( on September 03, 2014 at 04:03:21:

I have this woodblock print of Hiroshige's Hodogaya -Shinmachi Bridge (Hodogaya -Shinmachi-bashi) from The Fifty-Three Stations of the Tokaido (Tokaido gojusantsugi no uchi) and, well, I'm used to having them or seeing them on paper, and this one, I don't know what kind of fabric, but it's I think what is called "nunomezuri".

The roofs of the houses, the trees, the brick walls and the people's clothing all have a velvet like feel to them, yet the remainder of the fabric feels quite different, and less texture, perhaps plain I suppose, as compared to the other spots. I have no idea about fabrics, so don't dare say silk, because I only know what polished silk feels like and to me this does not feel like silk.

Seems I'm only able to post a single image, so for now I'll post a closeup detail until I upload others and can link to them.

Basically, I guess what I'm looking for here is , what are these types of woodblock prints called? I understand woodblock prints on fabric are called nunomezuri, but I'm not familiar with this velvety texture thing.
Is this what they call "Brocade"?

Any helpful info on this is appreciated.

Here's link to image of the whole print, albeit a small pic


Thank you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Subject: Hiroshige Hodogaya -Shinmachi-bashi nuno


Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]