Re: Need help Identifying 1790s rare

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Robert Amos (75.251.9.172) on October 27, 2014 at 13:24:33:

In Reply to: Re: Need help Identifying 1790s rare posted by Robert Amos on October 26, 2014 at 03:40:20:

I enlisted a japanese acquaintance to help fill in a few of the gaps in the writing added by an early collector. He found that between Honjo-Makujima and the name Hakuen was the word inky 隠居, meaning "retired", and also, very faintly below the date 1803 was the word 死ス meaning "died". Below "died" are some other marks now unreadable. So it looks like the writing on the right side of the print would be translated roughly, "In Honjo- Makujima retired Hakuen 1803, died...(unreadable)" So, apparently the date 1803 refers to either retirement (which would be correct) or his death (incorrect since Hakuen/Danjuro V died in 1806) and not to a performance date or print date. So, I am back to thinking this is a mid-1790s print.

If you go to ukiyo-e.org print site and search for "Toyokuni 1796" you will see four prints from different museums (Honolulu, MET, Waseda), all dated 1796 which closely resemble this print in terms of signature, publisher, full figure style, shaded background, and lack of title. Was there a specific series done in 1796 that has a name I can search for? There must be a known catalog as all of these museums dated these similar prints specifically to 1796. Any ideas?

Again, Hans, many thanks for your input and help This has been an adventure!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Need help Identifying 1790s rare

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]