Re: LOC vs Other Museums and sources

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Marc Kahn (71.236.180.102) on January 23, 2015 at 13:46:24:

In Reply to: LOC vs Other Museums and sources posted by Hokusai's pupil on January 23, 2015 at 06:10:31:

Hi there.

This happens all the time. At first, I shared your indignation. But over the years I have seen so much sloppy scholarship from supposedly reliable reference sources, that when I see it again I just shrug my shoulders and move on.

Early on, I would do as you and try to get in touch with museum curators to correct mis-attributions. In some cases, my input was welcome and acted upon, but that was very much the exception. In most cases, I was ignored, as has happened with your attempt to contact the LOC. A few times, my communication was returned by some arrogant person bragging about their academic credentials and asking me to establish my own before that person would lower themselves to address the issue that I had raised. Since I don't have any academic credentials, those conversations went nowhere.

My area of focus is shin-hanga. It is absolutely normal that knowledgeable people have come to different conclusions about how to date prints. There is no end of conflicting information out there and anyone is able to pick and choose the information that validates their pre-conceived notion. I'm certainly guilty of that myself.

Don't worry; be happy. The more you stir the soup, the more obscure things get.

Marc

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: LOC vs Other Museums and sources

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]