Re: Toshisei - a pupil of Yoshitoshi

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Guy Pepermans (83.255.46.66) on April 07, 2015 at 07:22:39:

In Reply to: Re: Toshisei - a pupil of Yoshitoshi? posted by Hans Olof Johansson on April 04, 2015 at 14:49:29:

Hans Olof,

Thanks for the feedback. Reading artist's names remains a difficult exercise indeed. I'm not sure if Japanese and Sino-Japanese readings were never combined. According to Roger Keyes' dissertation, some of the names of Yoshitoshi pupils beginning with the character 年 ('nen' or 'toshi') are read in the Sino-Japanese manner (ON reading), p.e. Nengetsu, Nengyo, Nenkan, Nenpo - and not in the native Japanese way like Toshihide and others (KUN reading).

My knowledge of Japanese is insufficient to know the exact reason why. I presume that the eventual pronunciation is prescribed by the second character, read in combination with the first kanji.IMO, the character 晴 ('sei' or 'haru') is not interchangeable with 情 ('sei' or 'nasa'). Following your advice, I should read the name now as 'Nensei'. This was probably a different artist - not Nozaka Toshiharu, who's name is on the Yoshitoshi memorial.

BTW, the second character in the seal reads 'mori' (森).

Guy.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Toshisei - a pupil of Yoshitoshi

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]