Re: Utamaro mystery ....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Andrew (38.124.108.222) on May 22, 2015 at 20:47:29:

In Reply to: Re: Utamaro mystery .... posted by Noel Chiappa on May 22, 2015 at 17:38:40:

I believe that is the answer, also. This Utamaro print clearly exists in different printings: some have the title cartouche at upper left, some do not. Different colors of the kimono, luxury edition with mica background, etc.

Believe that: it is a lifetime second-printing by Utamaro's studio, for which his workers re-cut the blocks.

The black block used for the floral pattern on the woman's obi looks the same, but worn down to the point that the flowers have become faint. The blue block, for some reason, it seems they decided for some reason to have its pattern extend into the narrow band below the black, which was previously red in other printings.

The details of the rest of the black printing are sharpened and subtly different from better-known examples.

To me, the work seems too exact and too well-done to have been reproduced by some rival studio during Utamaro's life.

However, there are certainly collectors out there who know a lot more about Utamaro than I do. So I was hoping for a consensus viewpoint from the forum users about what we are seeing here.

Opinions ?

Andrew

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Utamaro mystery ....

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]