Re: Shotei's Plagiarism

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Magicsteph (50.161.194.41) on June 01, 2015 at 23:46:08:

In Reply to: Re: Shotei's Plagiarism posted by Marc Kahn on June 01, 2015 at 04:29:16:

Hi Marc,

I believe you have done and accomplished a fantastic job, don't get me wrong.

However, I am trying to understand who could have made such copies of the artist during his lifetime, if not himself ?

In a way, it would make sense that he might have been frustrated by Wanatabe's behavior during a period of time, and have a design printed elsewhere for a short runs, in order to put pressure on Wanatabe to publish his work and get paid.

This is just one theory, definitely not an assessment.

Who ? What is the name of the publisher (And Artist) that would make fake Shotei's design published by Wanatabe, during their lifetime ? Especially if the design have been published in quantity and still available for sale ?

Which other artist published by Wanatabe has some fake prints on the market made during the lifetime of the artist ?

If that publisher had made fake Shotei's design by Wanatabe, why not making fake designs from other artists also published by Wanatabe ?

As a matter of fact, how many artists have had fake designs made during their lifetime ? I am not talking about copies or replica's, but literally fake re-design of a print in Japanese woodblock Printing history ?

One of the only one that I know that had to re-do all his work was Shotei. In a way, it does make sense to me that he might have redone these designs somewhere else, maybe prior or maybe in the back of Wanatabe ?

If it is 100% for sure not him, then who is it ?

Cordially,
Magicsteph

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Shotei's Plagiarism

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]