Re: to 'no zu' or not to 'no zu'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Noel Chiappa (98.166.138.250) on November 08, 2015 at 00:48:04:

In Reply to: to 'no zu' or not to 'no zu' posted by Kurt on November 06, 2015 at 14:22:27:

> I'm interested in your opinions on transcribing titles with (picture of, > view of) 'no zu' .. in them.

I agree 100.0000% with you: if the artist put it there, we should transcribe the title as written exactly; and also put it in the translation. I have followed that policy on the Yoshitoshi catalogue raisonne site I am helping put together (www.yoshitoshi.net).

One additional tweak: sometime the artist leaves out the 'no', or some such similar word. I add the interpolated 'no', but place it inside '[]' to indicate the interpolation. (Although I see I haven't been perfect at reflecting that into the Romaji transcriptions - I will have to make sure that the kanji and Romaji are consistent in that regard.)

> So, is there a style book, a preference of practice... I can't find > anything on the web that indicates a scholarly position on whether it > should be included or not? Is it a free for all?

Sadly, apparently, yes. (In their defense, smaller institutions often don't have anyone on staff who can read the original title, and so reply on cut-and-paste from some other source - which may, or may not, be correct.)

Noel

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: to 'no zu' or not to 'no zu'

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]