Re: to 'no zu' or not to 'no zu'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Kurt (149.171.171.96) on November 10, 2015 at 13:54:16:

In Reply to: Re: to 'no zu' or not to 'no zu' posted by Kurt on November 10, 2015 at 13:51:59:

.... (continued) ...

Though it is true you might substitute ‘chronicle' for ‘record’ or ‘history', and 'rise and fall' instead of 'ups and downs’, at the very least, how can you not make mention of Izu province, ‘Izu-no kuni’, the country/province of Izu?

I also couldn’t work out why you would call it an attack (though in the image it clearly is… a raid, a mission, a charge) when the title says ‘kassen’, which I can’t help but translate as battle in the context of most ‘musha-e’ titled from that period.

Rather than reading it as ‘History of the Ups and Downs of the Minamoto and Taira: The Attack on the Yamaki Palace’, surely it would read as ‘History of the Ups and Downs of the Minamoto and Taira: The Battle at Yamaki [Palace] in Izu Province’?
or
Chronicle of the Rise and Fall of the Minamoto and Taira: The Battle at Yamaki [Palace] in Izu Province’?

Is this a fair assessment, or have I embarrassingly and naively got it wrong? As I have said, this is a challenge because I am only new to Japanese prints.

Though I did not intend for a long monologue, I guess my point is that I feel I’m in the palm of both interested and semi-interested parties; I’m an observer of enthusiastic, keen and scholarly diligence, yet opposite to this, a little ‘casualness’.

Which is also to say that this ukiyoe-e ‘q & a’ is an invaluable resource when the latter reigns: we can fire away (in this case have a grumble) and you are always polite enough and knowledgeable enough to have some great answers, sending us happily on our way.

Appreciate it,

best,
Kurt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: to 'no zu' or not to 'no zu'

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]