Alternative kanji for ‘The Battle of Kaw

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Kurt (101.174.24.125) on November 28, 2015 at 05:46:18:

Hi all,

While I have been searching for musha-e (late 1840s through to the 1870s), I have noticed different kanji used for ‘Kawanakajima’. My specific query is about the kanji used for ‘Kawanakajima’ on a Yoshitora and some Sadahide prints.

For an image (screen grab), please see: http://www.kurtschranzer.com/Kurt_Schranzer_G_15_japanese%20print-3.html

1. Examples by Yoshitoshi show the use of 嶋 in 川中嶋
e.g. Yoshitoshi, 1866, Picture of [The Rival Forces from] Kai and Echigo Provinces at the Great Battle of Kawanakajima 甲越川中嶋大合戦之圖

2. Examples by Yoshitoshi and Yoshikazu show the use of 島 in 川中島
e.g. Yoshitoshi, 1867, Three Deaths at Kawanakajima: Picture of the Bloody Fight Between the Pair of Rivals 川中島三討死 両雄血戰之圖

3. An example by Yoshiiku shows the use of 嶌 in 川中嶌
e.g. Yoshiiku, 1860, Picture of the Great Battle of Kawanakajima 川中嶌大合戦之圖

4. Examples by Sadahide and Yoshitora are different again… I am not certain if these are modified versions of 嶌 (as shown in example 3 and thus written as 嶌), or are alternative kanji. The Sadahide is particularly interesting in that the lower, small ‘vertical’ strokes are replaced by one horizontal stroke.
e.g. Yoshitora, 1877, Picture of the Hand-to-Hand Combat of Two Rival Generals at Kawanakajima in Shinshū 信州川中(嶌?)両将直戰ノ圖
e.g. Sadahide, 1843–1845, Picture of the Great Battle of Kawanakajima
川中(嶌?)大合戰之圖

If the examples from ‘4’ are indeed different kanji, can anyone respond by providing a typed/printed kanji for them? A stab in the dark, but any help appreciated.

Cheers
Kurt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Alternative kanji for ‘The Battle of Kaw

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]