Re: Need help to idenitfy a print

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Hans Olof Johansson (83.255.47.64) on January 14, 2016 at 18:51:48:

In Reply to: Need help to idenitfy a print posted by Kristof Kloeckner on January 14, 2016 at 03:19:10:

Kristof,

Your print has been cut out from a book, and it doesn't carry a signature. Hundreds or even thousands of books like this were published in 19th century Japan, and you'd need a lot of luck to be able to identify a single picture from one of these books.

The resolution of your image is not good enough for me to be able to interpret the captions, but they would probably not be very helpful anyway.

In this case, however, what could be the title of the book is printed vertically across the fold of each sheet of paper. You'll find the left half of it in the upper right margin and the right half in the left margin. Above I have combined the two halves.

The first two characters clearly read "gahon" (画本 - picture book) and the last two probably "ni-zoku" (二続 - second series or volume). Apparently the third character is the most important one, but unfortunately it's also the one I cannot read. :-(

Hopefully someone else will be able to interpret the missing character. It would probably help if you could post a good close-up of both sides of these characters.

Otherwise I'm afraid you'll have to find a library or museum with a very large collection of this kind of Japanese picture books. The good thing is that you won't have to leaf through all of these books - your picture will be on the pages 25-26 when you find the right book.

Best regards,
Hans Olof

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Need help to idenitfy a print

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]