Re: Utagawa Yoshitora print

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Kurt (49.195.26.64) on December 03, 2016 at 15:18:49:

In Reply to: Re: Utagawa Yoshitora print posted by Guy Pepermans on December 01, 2016 at 16:06:53:

Hi Guy

1. Yes, 旗揚げ / 旗挙 / or 旗揚, Noun, Suru verb, ‘raising an army’ (according to jisho.org)

2. Yes again, I came across the same web link late yesterday (Sydney time), but have been in transit driving 800km today to visit a friend, so have not had a chance to follow through with further research. I also came across:
Frank Brinkley and Dairoku Kikuchi, A History of the Japanese People From the Earliest Times to the End of the Meiji Era, 1912, at The Project Gutenberg eBook of A History of the Japanese People, Release Date: December 23, 2008 [eBook #27604] quoting Chapter 25: The Epoch of the Gen and the Hei, .

In prose that is a little old fashioned, Brinkley writes of the Battle of Ishibashiyama: “Whatever the explanation may be, the little Minamoto band were attacked in front and rear simultaneously during a stormy night. They suffered a crushing defeat. It seemed as though the white flag was to be lowered permanently, ere it had been fully shaken out to the wind. The remnants of the Minamoto sought shelter in a cryptomeria grove, where Yoritomo proved himself a powerful bowman. But when he had tune to take stock of his followers, he found them reduced to six men. These, at the suggestion of Doi Sanehira, he ordered to scatter and seek safety in flight, while he himself with Sanehira hid in a hollow tree. Their hiding-place was discovered by Kajiwara Kagetoki, a member of the Oba family, whose sympathies were with the Minamoto. He placed himself before the tree and signalled that the fugitives had taken another direction. Presently, Oba Kagechika, riding up, thrust his bow into the hollow tree, and as two pigeons flew out, he concluded that there was no human being within.”

The original link you provided to the full triptych shows both pigeons, and alongside the figures in the tree (per my initial post), it is surely an image depicting the closing moments of the Battle of Ishibashiyama. I have only just started to look at the figures within the tree hollow: given my long drive today I haven’t made sense of all of the kanji characters for all of the names, but amongst them are Doi Jirō Sanehira 土肥次郎実平, Doi Yatarō (?) 土肥弥太郎(遂?)平 , Tsuchiya Saburō (?) 土屋三郎宗(遂?), and (???) Yoritomo 前(?)衛(摧?)伍頼朝… multiple figures despite the narrative suggesting that it is ONLY Doi Sanehira and Yoritomo who hide there (that said, pictorial liberties are taken all the time in these prints!!)

What confounds/interests me is why a title specifically referencing Doi Sanehira ‘raising an army at Sujiyama’ depicts the end of the Battle of Ishibashiyama instead? Yes, all the characters are linked given the info at , and yes, Sanehira appears to be a very important player, but it’s quite incongruous nonetheless.

A question for you: the ‘Kotobuki GmbH’ website titles the work ‘Raising an army at Mt. Sugiyama by Doi’. Would it be more appropriate---given the flow/use of English--- to simply title the work ‘Doi Raising an Army at Sugiyama’?

thanks for your response,
cheers
Kurt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Utagawa Yoshitora print

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]