Re: Unknown Artist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Guy Pepermans (84.197.53.237) on January 13, 2017 at 16:17:50:

In Reply to: Re: Unknown Artist posted by Hans Olof Johansson on January 13, 2017 at 00:02:28:

http://img.over-blog-kiwi.com/0/40/67/39/20140819/ob_130dc1_sans-titre-06.jpg

Hans Olof,

Thanks for sharing your insights. I agree that the prints with the pink band of clouds are most probably posthumous (Shinsai died around 1826). This re-edtion should also include the two prints of the MFA Boston. It has a simplified colour scheme, with omission of Western-style clouds and chiaroscuro. As mentioned, I see similarities with the consecutive editions of the series with Dutch letter borders. So, IMO there is a possibility that the prints with the pink cloud band are as early as the 1830s, also considering the pigments used for the new colour scheme.

Modern, 20th century reproductions of this series, copying faithfully the 1st edition, do exist (see image). Fact is that the edition(s) with the pink cloud band tend in no manner to imitate this 1st late 1810s edition but on the contrary give a different, less elaborated interpretation of the original design. Again, here I see a possible analogy to what happened with the series with Dutch letter borders.

Guy.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Unknown Artist

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]