Re: Identify artist signing \;#32032;\;#

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Andrew (38.124.109.117) on February 22, 2017 at 21:39:07:

In Reply to: Identify artist signing \;#32032;\;#2119 posted by Ger on February 22, 2017 at 12:53:56:

The inset photo must be a view of the top of the kiribako, on which someone labeled the contents of the box in sumi ink.

And the inscription reads the same as the one in the margin of the scroll, with the exception that 'ga' has been substituted for 'hitsu' on the artwork

Clearly it is a Meiji-period design, based on the genre of 'i-go' game playing prints. Not proof of when it was made but certainly it is likely

The first three kanji of the signature are 'ichi', another part of a prefix for the artist's name (can't read it), and 'sai' Like many ukiyoe artists' formal names.

Really I don't know the artist at all. Maybe can be deduced by someone identifying the second kanji.

I enjoy playing i-go, but I was never very good at the game. So I was easily defeated by native experts. They considered it amusing to have a gaikokujin opponent (the first time) but then too boring thereafter. Too easy to beat me, since I was so weak in strategy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Identify artist signing \;#32032;\;#

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]