Re: Who is the artist?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Maria (90.224.35.252) on May 09, 2018 at 19:37:11:

In Reply to: Re: Who is the artist? posted by Guy Pepermans on May 09, 2018 at 11:00:14:

https://data.ukiyo-e.org/uploads/images/f630ee6384585fdd3dacc94a330e8a22.jpg

Hi Guy, thank You for helping me with this, it hasn't been easy. Kunichika sounds like a very good guess. The lady's is a little Kunichika-like. Today I met a paper conservator who suggested that this really is one part of a diptych, and that the artist's signature is probably on the right missing side. Which is interesting, and can explain that I did not find a print-size that fits the print, it is ca 17 cm x 50 cm. I'm also still wondering over the sign in the sky. It's very, very dim and pale, and it's very hard to see, but there are signs there ... why do you think they paint it over in that way? Or is it a sign on the back, that bleeds through as suggested? I'm also thinking of the motif, you can guess it may be so that the woman in the middle has been drinking too much sake ... what do you think about that? Perhaps it's a delicate story or a satir? Thats could also be a reason why the signature is missing? Mysterious print, but beautiful. Thanks again for your time! Best regards/maria

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Who is the artist?

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]