Re: cloud seal

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Lesley (148.85.84.32) on June 01, 2018 at 18:16:07:

In Reply to: Re: cloud seal posted by Guy Pepermans on May 31, 2018 at 22:00:19:

Thank you, Guy, I found similar information myself while researching this for the collection I catalog at the Mead Museum. Our copy also has a seal by Hayashi Tadamasa, with two poems by Kash˘an (Hanasakian in Keyes) Yonemori and Kandakyo. The first poem is the same as the second one in the print in Mirviss and Carpenter, only with slightly different handwriting, showing that the script was recarved. Even though it's not listed in Keyes' list of surimono copies, I think ours is a copy, although it's odd that a poetry circle seal appears on a copy, not the original, which is why I wanted to know more about the seal, hoping it could shed some light. I also found the same print in the LOC and prints from the same series in AIC and FAMSF as well as MWP. I didn't know about the Takasago, thanks. I'm still hoping to find out which poetry club seal it is to hope to date our copy. Do you think that a poetry club would commission a reproduction?
Lesley

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: cloud seal

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]