Re: Is this Chokosai Eisho?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Alec W. (76.98.178.51) on August 29, 2018 at 04:10:53:

In Reply to: Re: Is this Chokosai Eisho? posted by Chris on August 28, 2018 at 01:54:59:

Well, it's a hard problem. There's a good article in the Hotei Encyclopedia on the topic... to quote it briefly:

"Unfortunately, it is not always that easy to distinguish the original from the genuine in older reproductions. In the Meiji era, for instance, reproductions of Edo-period works were being issued, and these prints, some now already 130 years old, can deceive the most cautious curator, collector, or dealer."

The article goes on to discuss paper quality, print color, and the need to compare with known genuine examples.

Of this particular example, I would guess it to be a 20th-century reproduction, if only because "golden age" ukiyo-e prints were published in such small numbers, but reproduced so extensively. And given how strong the color is, and how clean and bright the paper is, it would seem to be a museum-worthy piece were it an actual 1790s-vintage print.

All that being said, I am still a novice as a collector, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Is this Chokosai Eisho?

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]