Re: Artist \ Date Ehon pages

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Chris Brooks (136.33.43.188) on November 14, 2018 at 15:44:38:

In Reply to: Re: Artist \ Date Ehon pages posted by Plasmo on November 14, 2018 at 08:53:28:

Plasmo

Good question :-)

I started collecting about two years ago purchasing a couple of Toyokuni III prints at a local estate sale. After that I started looking at other places to purchase prints from Ebay to Artelino to FujiArts to Ronin gallery and several others. While I have purchased some very nice, good quality prints by the major artist of the Edo era like Toyokuni III, Hiroshige, Eisen and others, I started to seek out more obscure artists. My local art gallery (Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas City) has a great collection of Asian art but it is heavy on Chinese art and has very few Japanese woodblock prints, mainly but early Edo era artists. So I find myself seeking out obscure artists to get artists from a wide range of the Edo period. Some of the prints are not of the best quality but I guess my collection is becoming more a historical reflection of Edo era artists. Currently I have prints by about 160 identified artists and another 10-15 that are either unsigned or unidentified. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about reading artist signatures but have no background in Japanese language and culture.

I greatly appreciate the help that you and others in this forum provide and promise to 'try' and not be a pest :-)

Thanks again.

Chris

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Artist \ Date Ehon pages

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]