Re: Looking for information on a nice fr

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Bryan Chernick (47.51.134.154) on July 10, 2019 at 14:49:28:

In Reply to: Looking for information on a nice framed posted by Bryan Chernick on July 10, 2019 at 04:36:27:

I think I figured out that the artist was Kitagawa Utamaro based on the signature. What I thought was the signature before is something else. After searching through thousands of images attributed to Kitagawa Utamaro I was not able to find this one. Many look similar in many ways including hair styles and how women are depicted. I also saw a few that had a similar bird marking but I canít find any information on that. Does the bird have something to do with the year or a publisher? I still have many questions about this like what the other writing is, what year it was produced, is it really an original, etc.

Another question is about condition. The colors look great but there are a few things that I noticed. The person on the left has straps on her face, it looks like the skin color around the straps is missing or faded out. The person on the left has a blu pattern on her clothing that looks like itís fading out toward the edge. Are these printing issues, age problems or intentional. Since it was framed Iím wondering if exposure to sunlight could have done this but the rest of the print looks unaffected.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Looking for information on a nice fr

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]