Re: Kunisda III signature query

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Darrel C. Karl (72.83.157.209) on June 02, 2020 at 00:17:31:

In Reply to: Re: Kunisda III signature query posted by Alec W. on June 01, 2020 at 21:42:40:

Thanks for your comments. I knew before I posted that this print was very similar to roughly a hundred chuban size actor prints designed by Kunisada III circa 1917-1920 in the last years of his life. All of these prints were signed Hōsai, Utagawa Hōsai, Baidō Hōsai, Baidō, Baidō Kunimasa, and Baidō Kunisada. I don't know if that increases the chance that Baidō Kunihide is the same person or not.

I'm curious about the 1893 memorial monument you referred to in your other post. Was it a memorial to Kunisada II who died in 1880? Kunisada III didn't die until 1920. It would be interesting to know if Kunisada III is listed as a supporter or student (since he was a student of Kunisda II) and, if so, under what name. If Kunisada III is not listed under one of his various names, then that might suggest he could have briefly employed the Baidō Kunihide moniker. But if his name does appear on the monument, I think that would conclusively rule that possibility out.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Kunisda III signature query

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]