Re: Print ID

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Alec W. (174.105.163.103) on July 20, 2020 at 23:55:55:

In Reply to: Re: Print ID posted by Marijan Radaljac Aut on July 20, 2020 at 20:29:44:

Well, I suppose there's a bit of a semantic distinction here... in my mind, something can't be a "reprint" if it was never printed before. But I think you could use the term more loosely, in the sense of the blocks being made well after the original artist's involvement in the creative process (in this case decades after the artist's death).

With respect to this particular publication, I have no doubt that a highly skilled artist was employed in the creation of the adaptations, though I don't know who that artist may have been, or if that information is even known. Perhaps they employed a number of artists over the course of the series.

The question of "authorship" in ukiyo-e prints is a complicated one, because prints were produced in a workshop system, where publishers, carvers and printers were all involved in the creation of the final product in ways that the "artist" didn't necessarily have much control over.

That said, I don't think these "adaptation of a painting" prints would conform to a purist's idea of an "original print". But, if you like Kyōsai's paintings, this could be an inexpensive way to enjoy one.

Good luck,
-A

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Print ID

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]