Re: Unidentified Print

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by David H (118.209.76.69) on October 28, 2020 at 21:28:10:

In Reply to: Re: Unidentified Print posted by Guy Pepermans on October 28, 2020 at 18:46:44:

Hi Joerg
As mentioned by the others this is a print by Ogata Gekko, without the dimensions I am assuming it is a standard shishikiban format (very roughly square). His prints in this format were not dated and carried no information regarding publisher etc
This particular print was obviously popular as it can be found in a number of editions, in some the rabbit's fur is embossed and quite detailed, with addition gofun, yours has gofun and embossing, but is perhaps not quite as detailed as some I have seen (hard to be certain without looking at it in the hand), it certainly looks to be an early edition. There are editions with much less detail but with the seal. There are editions without the seal, possibly posthumous (Robert Muller had this image in his collection) and also an edition with a seal where there is a printed 'frame' line around the image, which I have been told is an edition by Kamaguchi from the 1930's but that has not been definitively confirmed. I hope that assists
cheers
David

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Unidentified Print

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]