Re: Kunimasa IV triptych, looking fo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by bletsch (24.4.96.10) on October 03, 2021 at 07:39:21:

In Reply to: Re: Kunimasa IV triptych, looking fo posted by Lucienne on October 02, 2021 at 22:34:36:

Thanks again. Glad you had fun digging.

I re-read the a few different versions of the story and I don't see a kite crash reference. When there is a kite, the story seems to go like this:

-Tomowaka and brother build a large kite.
-Tametomo suggests attaching a precious flute to the kite so it makes a sound when aloft
-Tomowaka accidentally drops and breaks the flute when trying to affix it to the kite
-Tametomo threatens to punish Tomowaka with his sword for breaking the flute (most likely the scene in my print?)
-After Sasarae begs him not to punish Tomowaka with the sword, Tametomo attaches Tomowaka to the kite, sets him aloft, and cuts the string (I believe this is what is being depicted in the banzuke advertising you linked to)
-At the end Tametomo reveals he planned everything in advance so Tomowaka could escape to the mainland by kite (which he does)

There is a detailed account in Takizawa Bakin's Bow Shaped Moon.

Also, thanks for the link to the banzuke advertising, it's very interesting. I wasn't able to look at it until just now.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: Kunimasa IV triptych, looking fo

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]