Re: A query for your assistance plea

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]

Posted by Alec W. (2.25.206.185) on March 16, 2022 at 13:14:29:

In Reply to: Re: A query for your assistance plea posted by Craig Matthews on March 16, 2022 at 02:27:53:

My observation is that it was a fairly common practice for publishers to issue simplified versions of print designs, though I don't have any other examples on hand. But you will see things like simplified color palettes, removing text or other design elements, etc.

I suppose it mostly had to do with providing product at different price points for minimal extra production cost. In many cases this seems to have been a way to extend the profitability of a design -- the early runs might be "deluxe" issues with lots of colors, maybe special effects (metal leaf, burnishing, embossing), and then after demand for the design started to wane, lower-cost versions of the same design would be issued with all the fancy extras omitted.

Sometimes the original publisher would sell the blocks for a design (with the original publisher seals removed) to another publisher who would issue the lower-cost version. But that doesn't seem to be the case here; the seal of Iseya Rihei is present on both versions.

-A

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
Subject: Re: A query for your assistance plea

Comments:

Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ukiyo-e Q & A ]